Monday, November 23, 2009

Grandmother's Quilts and More...

I have one "finish" so far this month for the Charming Girls Quilts Club. I knew this month and next would be busy so rather than stress myself, I aimed low...I got the blocks squared for my Schnibbles quilt that I have been working on (sitting on my quilting desk) for several months. Yay! Also I have almost put the quilt top together, but that is for another blog.


This past week I asked Tony to pull out the Christmas decorations from under the stairwell, and came across two of my grandmothers quilts under there. I knew they were there and had been thinking about them and wondering what to do with them. The top one Chloe loved at first sight, and claimed for hers. It is all hand quilted, but the binding is just about gone and much of it has just worn away. I have no idea when it was made. My grandmother died in 1973, long before I was interested in quilting. The yellow one she was making for me when she died so it has very special meaning for me. It is made from her scraps from dresses that she made for herself and for me, so when I look at it I can see those dresses I wore in the 60's. The ladies from her church finished it for me after she died. I used it for many years, when I was single as I loved it so much, and it is one of the reasons I became interested in quilting. I want to preserve at least part of each one but am not sure how. I was thinking of framing some of the blocks but really hate to cut them up...
I now have the name of my Secret Santa recipient, so am on a mission this week to decide if she has been naughty or nice, and what will be an appropriate gift!

3 comments:

joan said...

Those are beautiful .I have quilts from my grandmother too and I cherish them so much.I have a couple from my Godmother who thought me how to sew along with my mom!Have a good week.

Quilter Going Bananas said...

You're so lucky that you have 2 of your Grtandmother's quilts. Make sure they are not exposed to sunlight. If you keep them in a closet folded up, take them out and refold them a different way every couple of months. If they're folded a certain way and stay that way, the fabric that's on the fold wears out.

Peggy said...

I love your dog! and the quilts!!

Blog Archive