Monday, December 28, 2009

Christmas Was Boring Compared to Yesterday!

Yesterday Tony and I decided to go into Calgary to the "cheap" theaters, where we can go see a matinee for $3 each. We went to "Pirate Radio", the story of one of the ships off the coast of England in 1967 playing their illegal rock and roll. The movie wasn't that great, but I loved the sound track. Anyway Tony had been very pale in the morning but insisted that he wanted to get out and do something. During the movie he complained of the popcorn and didn't even finish his. If you know him, you will know that in itself is very unusual. When we left the theaters he said he felt sick and it wasn't because of the bad movie. Again he insisted he was fine and would drive, but wasn't well enough to get the groceries as we planned. We were about 4 houses from home when he pulled over, and went to lean on the front of the car to try to get sick. I got out and tried to get him into the passenger seat when he passed out. I was holding the front of his coat to prevent him from falling, and I was able to ease him into the snow bank. I kept talking to him to try and keep him partly alert. By then a few neighbors out for walks with their dogs, and some who were thankfully nosy came out to help. He started to come around and wanted to get back into the car. An elderly gentleman and I tried to get him into the car, but he went down again, taking the elderly gentleman with him. So I had to determine who to help first... I got Tony's glasses off, threw them into the car, put my scarf under his head, and then helped the other man up....by then we decided that the ambulance had to come not matter how hard Tony tried to insist he was fine. This between passing out. Do you see a pattern of stubbornness here? Anyway the neighbors were wonderful getting blankets and phones and the ambulance and fire trucks roared into our circle in about 5 minutes. Two firemen and 2 EMS guys put Tony on the stretcher and put him into the ambulance to check him out. All his vitals were good and they gave him the choice of going to the hospital or not. I'm sure you can guess what he chose...They believed it was the violent onset of a stomach flu. The ambulance drove him the 4 houses down to our house to help me get him inside. I got him into bed and he was shivering uncontrollably and so I ran a hot tub to put him in. He got violently sick again 3 or 4 times. After a few hours he had some tea and honey and was watching sports. Today he has slept most of the morning and is just up now moving from the bed to the couch. Poor guy! I was so worried and am so thankful he is OK!
Dana and I are going to have some Mother/Daughter time this afternoon, but will not go into Calgary. We'll find something to do here in Okotoks so we can run home if we have to. He might be ready for some soup tonight. Tomorrow we will go out and get some thank you gifts for our neighbors as their kindness was so appreciated.

6 comments:

comicbooklady said...

That's horrible! I hope he feels better soon! Give him our love!

Peggy said...

Oh poor man. this is terrible. Hope he gets better soon! What a day you had

gordzilla said...

All my best to Tony. gord

joan said...

I can relate. Two days before Christmas I had the same thing and I really thought I was going to die...I have never felt so chilled but NO I did not tell anyone how bad I felt .. I even went to work because I needed to close the office before the Holidys.Right? Tell Tony to hang in there, if it's what I had it only lasted for 48hours.

Rhonda & her guys said...

Oh Anne, what an experience for both of you! Give him a hug from me, and we both hope he is on the road to recovery!!

Quilter Going Bananas said...

Oh My! I'm sorry that your Dh is really sick with the stomach flu. The passing out was sure scary, eh? I hope he recovers real fast and you take care of yourself too!

Blog Archive